Image by Cameron Venti

DISCLAIMER:  INFORMATION IS PROVIDED BY MEDICARE.GOV AND UNITED HEALTH CARE, WE DO NOT OFFER MEDICARE, WE ONLY OFFER MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT AND ADVANTAGE PLANS

Important information regarding medicare is as follows : Original Medicare pays for some, BUT NOT ALL, health care services according to medicare.gov. Generally speaking, Original Medicare pays 80% of your health benefits, leaving 20% of the costs left to the beneficiary. For this reason, it is important to know what your options are and we are here to help. 

Who qualifies for medicare and am I eligible? 

You qualify for Original Medicare if you are at least 65 years old, or you’re under 65 and qualify due to a disability or other special situation.

AND

You are a U.S. citizen or legal resident who has lived in the U.S. for at least 5 consecutive years.

Special Enrollment Period Qualifications

  • Retired and lost your employer coverage

  • Move out of the plans service area

  • Receive assistance from the state

  • Have been diagnosed with certain qualifying  disabilities or chronic health conditions

  • Qualify for Extra Help

IMPORTANT NOTES

  • Know which plans you will need to fit your healthcare needs as Parts A & B, for example do not cover prescription drug coverage and other additional benefits.

 

  • Know when your initial enrollment period (IEP) begins: it is 7 months long, 3 months before and 3 months after your birthday. The birthday month is included in the 7 months.

 

  • Annual enrollment period (AEP) begins each year from October 15 to December 7.

Why choose Medicare Advantage or  supplement plans? 

 

Open enrollment period begins January 1 – March 31

Original Medicare:

—Part A:  Covers hospital stays

—Part B:  Covers doctor and outpatient visits

Options to cover any gaps in coverage while also offering additional benefits:

Option 1:  Medicare Supplement Plan – covers some out-of-pocket costs not paid by Original medicare, and you may add a Stand-alone Prescription Drug Plan

Option 2:  Medicare Advantage – Part C — combines Part A&B and most include a drug plan

Eligibility

  • Enrolled in Part A and B

 

  • Live in the plans Service Area

 

  • Do not have end-stage renal disease

Are there medicare advantage plans for those with special needs? Yes, for specific groups!

  • Dual-eligible plans for those with both Medicare and Medicaid

 

  • Chronic Condition plans for those with certain ongoing medical conditions

 

  • Institutional plans for those living in a nursing home.